Letter to Microsoft Windows Store users
Back in September 2016, we launched the Plutocalc Water app on Windows Store for Windows Phone, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. After four years of service, we are discontinuing support for Plutocalc in the Microsoft Windows App Store.
From January 2020 the app will no longer be available for download through the Windows Store.
If you already have the app installed, you can continue to use the app on your phone or desktop. However please be aware there will be no future updates.
We don't take discontinuing services lightly and Windows continues to be an important platform for our users. However, after a series of problems with the Windows Store platform including but not limited to:
- Discontinued support for Windows Phone 8.x while several users in India still relied on this platform.
- Requirements to compile several different versions of the same app for multiple versions of the operating system. It is a nightmare to support so many versions of the same OS. Universal Windows Apps (UWP) was a publicity stunt that never existed in the real world.
- Visual Studio UWP module was full of bugs and had a very limited technical literature available, most of it in the form of an awful blog.
- Windows Store release process is extremely confusing and time consuming. Apparently only scam/fake apps and money grabbing games are appreciated by the store curators.
- Microsoft decided that the update schedule of Plutocalc with one or two versions per year was not enough and decided to permanently take down the sponsored version Plutocalc+. This is an engineering software and every calculation model is carefully backed by scientific literature and extensive testing, we can't afford releasing versions every month just to improve statistics.
- We suspect Windows App store will be dead soon and we will not invest any minute in a platform that has always been hostile and unfair with the developers. Our time will be spent in new features for our leading Water Treatment App.
Plutocalc remains available for Windows users with regulary updated online and offline versions.
The offline version also known as "HTML version" can run in any computing platform, from mobile phones to Linux, MacOS and virtually all Windows versions. The HTML version requires no installation, no executables, no authentication, login or passwords. All alternative versions can be obtained for free at www.plutocalc.com
Windows Store users who purchased Plutocalc Plus version please send a copy of the proof of purchase (confirmation e-mail, store screenshot, etc...) to [email protected].com to receive your copy of Plutocalc Plus as an offline HTML package.
Plutocalc Water development team